Thanksgiving is coming! It’s coming really fast. Around the Galvan house, we take our holidays very seriously. The Mister brines a couple of turkey’s every Thanksgiving, and I doubt that this year will be any different. One thing for sure, he’s not in big box retail anymore so, I will have him home all day on Thanksgiving, and THAT makes my heart so, so HAPPY!
I’m a soup gal – there’s no denying that I absolutely LOVE soup. I can eat it all year long. The Mister, on the other hand, not so much. I haven’t made soup in awhile, other than chili, but being that our first cold front came through already, I knew I needed to make something! With Thanksgiving around the corner, I thought this Turkey Soup recipe would be great to make with leftovers (Not at my house, because we never have turkey leftover, but at someone else’s house!)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1.5 lbs Turkey Breast, chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 large russet potato, peeled & diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled & sliced into coins
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 32oz Bone Broth (or you can just use chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk (or heavy whipping cream)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Bacon pieces
- In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium heat and add the turkey and spices.
- Cook until no longer pink, then move from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, with all the left over goodness from the turkey, melt the butter and add the potato, carrots, celery and onion. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Pour in the bone broth, cover and let simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
- Add the turkey.
- Add the coconut milk (heavy whipping cream) and allow to warm through.
- Ladle into a bowl and it's ready to go.
- This soup is dairy free, gluten free, and paleo.
- The Mister doesn't do dairy, so this soup was made dairy free with the coconut milk, but can also be made with the heavy whipping cream which will cancel out the dairy free.
- I like to serve it with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese on top and some bacon pieces.
Get your soup on friends! This makes a pretty good amount of soup so you WILL have some leftover to take to work tomorrow.
Love you all!