This is me in a nutshell during the months of September through November.
Last week I volunteered to bake something for a church meeting we were going to have and I decided that I wanted to make something with pumpkin in it.
Every December since we’ve been married, The Mister and I make a cherry-pineapple dump cake for our family gatherings. This recipe is very similar. Originally, it’s called a Pumpkin Dump Cake but after eating it and sharing with family and friends we decided it was more of an Upside Down Pumpkin Pecan Pie Cake. We have also decided that this this deliciousness is something we will make every September through November from here forward.
This recipe is absolutely DELICIOUS, so easy to make and it makes the house smell amazing!
Upside Down Pumpkin Pecan Pie Cake
- 1 can Pumpkin Puree (15 oz)
- 10 oz evaporated milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (regular or sugar free)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup toffee bits
- 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Spray a 9×13 cake pan with cooking spray and set aside. (I prefer disposable aluminum pans)
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs and pumpkin spice. Whisk by hand until smooth and all the lumps are gone.
- In a medium size bowl, melt 2 sticks of butter in the microwave. Depending on your microwave, it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute. Set aside to cool a little.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture. (If it doesn’t look even, I take a wooden spoon or silicon spatula and LIGHTLY spread the mix around.)
- Sprinkle the pecans and toffee bits over the top of it all.
- Pour melted butter evenly over the cake.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
This is before all the buttery goodness gets poured over.
This, my friends, is 2 sticks of melted butter.
Remember that I said this recipe is DELICIOUS, not good for you.
Here is what it looks like when it is all done! Add some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make this recipe even better!