I love me some zucchini and when I have the time, this will be one of the first things I try to grow in my backyard! I love that you can add zucchini to almost everything. I love that it fits different flavor profiles. I love that the texture is different if it is made into noodles or diced up for soups or shredded for zucchini fritters. I just love it!
I was going through the refrigerator and realized that I had two zucchini that needed to be used but I didn’t really feel like making anything too complicated. I decided that throwing a bunch of leftovers together in a baking dish would work for dinner that evening.
I had some brown rice, a cob of corn, and just a bit of matchstick carrots sitting in the veggie drawer that were in dire need of being used up. That’s how this casserole happened. It turned out so good that I ate half of it BY MYSELF! Then when the Mister got home, he ate the other half, LOL! Sadly, there were no leftovers.
Zucchini Brown Rice Casserole
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 c fresh corn off the cob (or frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Spray a 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Sauté onion on medium heat in the olive oil for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté until onion is transparent and soft.
(I like to take a fresh cob of corn and cut the kernels off)
5. Add the shredded mozzarella and mix together.
My house really enjoyed this recipe. I hope that yours will too!