Cauliflower is The Mister’s “arch nemesis. . . the bane of his existence” but as for me and my house we will still eat the cauliflower. We made a deal because of something that went down a couple months back. He MUST eat the cauliflower if I serve it to him. It doesn’t mean he won’t gag before eats it but he WILL eat it.
I had a head of cauliflower staring back at me this evening in the refrigerator. Every time I opened the doors, it said, “Hello!” very loudly. I wasn’t feeling like cauliflower steaks tonight so I decided to do something different.
Cauliflower Tarts, that’s what I will call them. The Mister said that it’s a very misleading name for them but OH WELL This recipe is pretty easy.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Break apart the head of cauliflower and put it in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with cling wrap and leave one side open so that it creates a vent. Microwave for 6-8 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
2. Allow the cauliflower to cool. It took about 20 minutes for mine to stop steaming.
3. Take a fork and break up the cauliflower into tiny pieces and set aside.
4. In a small bowl beat the eggs.
5. Mix the eggs and cheese in with the cauliflower. Add Salt & Pepper here.
6. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray
7. Fill each cup with the cauliflower mixture and pop the pan into the oven for 15 minutes.
8. Lastly, set your oven to BROIL and allow the tops to turn brown. It took about 5 minutes for mine to brown up. Do not walk away from your oven at this point. The broiler works fast and you could end up with a not so pleasant smell of burnt cauliflower in your house. So, keep an eye on them.
At the end I allowed mine to cool and then I put them in individual parchment paper cups. I didn’t bake them in the cups because I didn’t wanted them to be crispy from being in the metal tin. I think if I had baked them in the parchment cups that they would have been soggy.
These can be served as a side to any dish or packed with your lunch. Just pop in the microwave for 30 seconds and VOILA! They are super yummie! Hope you’ll take some time to try them out!
On another note, my lime tree FINALLY got planted! I’m very excited to watch it grow!