Hello my friends! I know, it’s been a month but here I am with a Daniel Fast Friendly recipe! It’s only the second one I have put down in writing because I usually just throw things together last minute. This time though, I wrote it down and had my husband test the recipe. AAANNNNDDDDD, it works!
So, for those of you that are doing the Daniel Fast this Lenten season, here’s a little something that will fill you up and leave you feeling healthier.
This recipe makes enough to serve about 8 people and then some.
Daniel Fast Friendly
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (depends on how much garlic you like)
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 Tbsp. Cumin
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
2 Tbsp. Garlic powder
2 cans of Mexican style diced tomatoes
2 cans of Bush’s Pinto Beans
2 cans of Bush’s Black Beans
2 cans of Goya Kidney Beans (drained)
4 cups of vegetable broth (Central Market 32oz)
1 8oz box of Del Fuerte tomato sauce(or any other tomato sauce with no added sugar)
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup of dried Santa Fe black bean flakes (to thicken)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat and sauté onion, garlic, celery, carrots until onions are transparent. Stir occasionally so that the the onions and garlic don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Mix in the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder.
2. Pour in canned tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans and canned black beans.
3. Stir all ingredients together and then add vegetable broth and tomato sauce, dried black bean flakes and water.
4. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
5. Serve with avocado on top and Baked Tostito chips.