Two years ago, the Mister and I went on a mission trip to Katira, Costa Rica. It was an amazing, life-changing experience. You can read about that here.
This summer, our church is going on mission to Peru, but sadly, we won’t be on that trip. We have lots of things going on in life right now that didn’t give either of us peace about going. Our cousins, however, are going and when they asked if I’d be willing to donate sandwichon to feed 60 people for a fundraiser, I excitedly said yes! Even more exciting because it would be a loteria fundraiser. What is a sandwichon? It is a sandwich cake. On the outside, it looks like a cake covered in a sweet, whipped, frosting but don’t be fooled. It’s actually a sandwich on the inside. Down here on the border, it is normally served at baby showers, bridal showers, fundraisers- tea party kind of get togethers. Lots of people like it, some people hate it. Here’s basically what it looks like layer-wise.
And also, if you’r wondering, ‘What is loteria?” Basically, Mexican bingo. People also call it “chalupa”.
A very long time ago, on a far, far away, old blog- I wrote about Sandwichon & Love. I have had a couple of messages from friends who have moved away from our area, telling me they were looking for a sandwichon recipe and came across mine. It’s not terrible recipe or blog post (well, actually, it is LOL) but here’s an even better update!
Before, you read any further, know that these pictures are of different sized sandwichon’s.
This recipe is NOT for the size of sandwichon you see in the pictures.
- Chicken Salad of your choice
- 2 loaves of bread (with the crusts cut off)
- 1 jar of spreadable cheese dip (like Rico's/Tostitos or store brand)
- 1/2 lb cooked ham
- 4 oz sour cream
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 can of pineapple slices (in 100% juice)
- 1 jar of marischino cherries
- For the ham spread: In a food processor or blender, blend ham and sour cream until smooth.
- First Layer: spread a bit of ham spread on each piece of bread and use it to stick it to a cardboard cake board/sheet pan. Once that is down on the board, spread the ham spread on that layer- as thick or as thin as you like.
- Second Layer: Lay down bread on top of the ham spread and then spread the cheese- again, as thick or as thin as you like.
- Third Layer: Lay down bread on top of the cheese spread and then spread the chicken salad- same as above
- Fourth Layer: This is your last layer of bread only.
- For icing: Place sour cream, cream cheese and pineapple juice in the blender and blend until smooth. Then spread on your cake. Save a little icing for touch ups if you're OCD, like me. At this point I would refrigerate the cake for 15 minutes so the icing can set.
- While the icing is setting, I like to press the juice out of the pineapple slices and dry up the cherries a little. If you don't their juices will ruin your icing when you decorate.
- After 15 minutes is up, touch up your icing and then decorate the cake as you like with your fruit.
- Sandwichon is like potato salad- Everyone's is different. This is MY version. Hope it helps you figure out what you want yours to be like.
- Also, if you don't want to actually make this but want one and you are local- shoot me an email email@example.com and I'll send you my price list.
Below, is a picture of the sandwichon I made with the recipe in this post.
P.S. This is NOT paleo, in ANY way but it is one of the things that I am good at making and people always ask me about it. It’s a treat for me when I get to eat it and that’s not very often because it can be a lot of work.
If you’re interested in trying one, and you’re local- drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will gladly send you my price list.