Today was the first time in awhile that I had the chance to stay at home. I spent most of the day doing laundry, folding/hanging and putting it away. This is not my favorite chore. As I was walking back and forth from the laundry room to my bedroom, I kept trying to figure out what I was going to make for dinner. Tuesday’s are super busy so I try to take dinner to the office so the hubby and I can enjoy that time together.
For some reason I kept thinking about macaroni and cheese today. I guess I was in the mood for CHEESE! I just llllooooovvvvveeee cheese! As much as I wanted mac and cheese, I knew I didn’t want boring mac and cheese either.
I kept thinking, how can I serve a balanced meal today. Ya know, veggies, starch, meat. Well, I came up with Bacon Chorizo Macaroni & Cheese. I know, I know, absolutely FAR from healthy/balanced but hey it’s not like we were planning on eating two bowls of this stuff or anything.
I know, you know, you want to make this. How could you not? I will tell you that it was absolutely DELICIOUS! I will also tell you that the hubby and I only had a serving each and veggies as our side. There are leftovers for the week, which I’m completely stoked about.
This is such a rich, warm, magical, fall dish. Enjoy the recipe!
BACON CHORIZO MACARONI & CHEESE
12 slices center cut bacon
1 pkg of premium chorizo
2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
4 cups of water
1Tbsp kosher salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 tbsp butter (unsalted)
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 slices whole wheat bread
Salt & Pepper to taste
Making Bacon in the microwave: (6 slices bacon at a time)
Put 2 sheets of paper towels on a microwave safe plate, lay the bacon out on the paper towels and do not overlap the slices. Then put 2 more sheets of paper towel on top of the bacon. Make sure all the bacon is covered. Place in the microwave on high for 5 minutes.
I did this twice because I had 12 slices of bacon. When the bacon has cooled, tear it into pieces. No need to be exact about the size. Not too little and not too big.
Cook the chorizo. Scoop the chorizo out of the pan and put into a bowl lined with a paper towel folded in four. This will help to absorb the grease. Set aside.
Pour elbow macaroni into the four cups of water. Sprinkle salt and allow to boil. Then turn heat down to medium and cook the macaroni for 6-7minutes. Drain and put back into the pot off the heat. Mix the chorizo into the macaroni Set aside.
To make the cheese sauce:
1. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks.
2. In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Be careful that it doesn’t burn.
3. Pour in milk, and whisk until smooth. Cook for about five minutes until it gets thick. Reduce heat to low.
4. Take 1/4 cup of this sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg yolks. Whisk constantly to avoid cooking eggs.
5. Pour egg mixture into sauce, again, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
6. Add in cheese and stir to melt. Add the bacon and stir.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure you taste the cheese sauce. You want to make sure you don’t UNDERSALT or OVERSALT it.
8. Pour the cheese mixture into the cooked macaroni and chorizo and stir to combine.
9. Pour into a buttered baking dish, top with torn bread and a sprinkle of extra cheese, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Serve up with a load of veggies so you don’t feel too bad for eating this.